Disputing Credit Report Errors

How to Dispute a Credit Report Error

It’s essential to check in on your credit every once in a while to know where you stand. This can be done by requesting annual credit reports.

When you get your credit report, you may want to watch out for any credit report errors to find and dispute errors on your credit report.

You’ll need to first obtain a copy of it from Everyone is entitled to a free copy of the report each year from each of the three major credit bureaus i.e., TransUnion, Equifax and Experian.

If you find an error, you’ll need to write a letter to the bureau telling them what information is inaccurate. It is advisable that you don’t use the bureau’s online form because it limits how much proof you can attach and may require you to sign away some of your rights.

Your correspondence should include copies of documents that prove your claim, a clear identification of the error, and a brief description of the facts. You can then request for the deletion or correction of the errors.

It is a good idea to keep a copy of the letter if you’re mailing it and keep the receipt once your letter is received.

The bureaus will investigate the item in question, usually within 30 days, after which they notify the party holding the error. This can be a bank or a lender.

When an error is discovered, all credit bureaus are notified so that the report can be updated. If your reports have been changed, you’ll get another free copy of it. You can also request the bureaus to send correction notices to anyone who has pulled your report in the past six months.

Contact Mr. Mark Shayani of Pacific Attorney Group for credit and debt counseling. Mark is a professional and compassionate financial expert who will help you ease your financial stress and develop a plan for living a financially healthy life.